Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Stigma Smasher - Mental Health Advocate
Who we are
batyr is a ‘for purpose’ preventative mental health organisation, created and driven by
young people, for young people. Our vision is to see all young people engaged in positive conversations about mental health and to feel empowered to reach out for support when needed. We engage young people through conversations with other young people about mental health and wellbeing, educate through the sharing of young people’s lived experience stories and empower young people by giving them the knowledge and skills to lead mentally healthy lives; in an effort to reduce the stigma surrounding mental ill-health and creating communities that support young people’s mental health and wellbeing.
In 2020 we are establishing our first volunteer program in an effort to put young people at the heart of outreach and community engagement to further extend our reach and impact. The Volunteer Team will be a group of 6 young people (aged 18-30) whose primary objective will be to consult with the Being Herd Coordinator on key decisions around engaging young people in your local area in positive conversations about mental health. We want your opinion on our batyr programs and initiatives and their relevance to your local community of young people. You will also be required to attend community events to recruit participants for workshops and participate in fundraising challenges.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities
- Advocacy - Represent batyr at community events in an effort to recruit for upcoming events and programs and raise awareness of baty’s offerings and help-seeking pathways in your local community
- Consultation - Engage in a monthly team meeting to offer your ideas and perspectives on engaging your local community and have a say on other key decisions in your area.
- Community Engagement - Planning and facilitating activations in your community that work towards smashing the stigma around mental ill-health, promoting help-seeking and sharing skills for young people to lead mentally healthier lives.
- Fundraising and Events - Contributing to the event planning and project management of a new community initiative and participating in fundraising activities in your community through online crowd-funding and face-to-face activations such as barbeques and raffles.
- Morale and Engagement - Implementing initiatives to boost the morale of the wider volunteer team, including a social events calendar, and encouraging the team to work towards and hit set targets.
- Innovation and Growth - Develop the scope of the volunteer program past its current stage where the program can accommodate more volunteers in the future.
- Comply with batyr's policies and procedures
More than anything else we are looking for young people, aged 18-30, with a passion for smashing the stigma around mental ill-health and promoting help-seeking opportunities for young people. We want someone with leadership qualities who is keen to share their ideas and perspective on how we can better engage youth in your community and who is willing to put time into this role to develop the program and extend batyr’s reach beyond its current state.
The role is approximately 3 hours a week (With more hours around key events) and will commence in mid-March through to November.
Read the full position description and apply here.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: